Monday, May 08, 2006

Love


The Swedish pharmacy (yes: it’s a monopoly business in my country) had a campaign a few years ago about making-out. There where big posters with people well… making out. And it was saying things about how hugs and human touch makes the immune system better. More touching – less colds. They did mention that single people who did not have someone to snuggle with could go pay for a massage or have a heavy blanket when they sleep. It supposedly gave the same effect (yeah right!). I’ve also read some article about how people with low social activities take longer to recuperate from the flue. Well that’s a happy thought for you: you’re not just lonely with out friends, you are sicker as well. Maybe that’s nature’s way of weeding out the herd. Make sure those suckers with out friends or lovers get sick and die early so they don’t use too much of the Earth’s recourses! Scary!

I’ve been indulging myself with chick-lit lately. Swedish, British and American. They are all very much the same actually. Not the kind with Fabio half naked on the cover – but the more modern ones. I think that’s the kind of literature someone had a post card on PostSecret for: only reading when on vacation so no-one the person knew would find out. To some extent I understand why. None of the books have dazzled me with amazing sentences or new words, but they aren’t bad. I find them quite entertaining actually. And a lot of times they describe embarrassing things even I have done. Let’s hope not too many guys read these books and find out how some women are and think! I know I try to hide it ;-)

After OD’ing on all the above, I start to feel like that’s just a bunch of crap that marketing people and best selling authors come up with. You know: that love would be important. Cause it’s probably just a fiction of imagination. A way to keep flower-shops and jewellers in business. Until something happens.

One of my very dear friends – whom I refer to as “almost related” gave us a real scare this spring. To explain “almost related” I want to point out that at her wedding, my mom sat at the table with the bride and groom’s parents, and my sister and I sat right in front of the wedding couple at the same table as their coolest and nicest cousins! While at my “actually related” people: they don’t even bother to invite their aunt to their wedding. I shiver in disgust just thinking about it! Well, back to my friend:

To make a long and painful story very short: she was pregnant and then got the flue so bad it induced labor – right there at home with out any warning. The little premie and my friend were flown to the hospital in helicopter. She got blood poisoning and was put to sleep. Put to sleep for days that became weeks. Only five cases per year of this occur in Sweden. There is a high fatality risk, and what distinguish who will make it or not is the will to live. My sister and I visited her every week, afraid that it would be our goodbye to her. It really made all of us think about what we value in life and how short life can be. My friend made it and is home today. She will still be bedridden for a couple of months, but we are all so happy she is with us! And when my sister asked what made her survive this, she answered “my husband”. It was the love she and her husband have for each other that made her want to live.

I have nothing more to say.

20 Comments:

Blogger Rudy Wellsand said...

You REALLY gave a provocative tho't on "what we value in life, and how short life can be!" Wow!

You surely must know that you have DNA and RNA CODES in you, plus other CODES that switch things ON and OFF in your body, ALL to CONTROL you! Is Destiny CONTROLLED by CODES?

WHO PUT THE CODES INTO YOU?

Did you know that there are CODES THAT YOU CAN READ RIGHT OUT OF YOUR OWN Christian Bible, that CONTROL your Destiny?

See the "Chosen"Code and "Color" Code; VISIT: http://quadcode.blogspot.com ! Save or Print it to study.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Hi Rudy - no I did not know this. I don't read the bible or any other religious books. But thanks anyway.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hi Asa!

You know, first of all, the first paragraph is so true. We all need 'human touch' and it does make us healthier in body and spirit. Even babies, when they're born, they need the touch of a human mother or father or whoever......it makes them feel content.

I'm so sorry about your friend, but happy she is okay. That's awful what happened.

My thoughts and prayers are with her!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Yes Deb - I know that it's true that we all need human touch. But those big posters of people kissing didn't help you feel ok in your singlehood so to speak.

Thanks for including my friend in your prayers! She needs all the help she can get.

And I hope you feel better yourself in your grief Deb. Take your time.

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is her baby doing?

1:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thank you for the sweet comment on my blog. how did you ever find it? i like yours and will come back to read more of it. and i totally agree on the love thing. someday i'll give you juicy details. ;)

2:56 PM  
Blogger luckysevn said...

Asa! My first visit to you (via ~deb), and I'm crying already!!! Between you and JD today, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself!!! So glad your story had a happy ending...

4:22 PM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Hi Pam in Colorado! The baby girl is doing fine. Since she was a premie she had to stay at the hospital for a while. Now her two brothers can dote on her :-)

JD: Like most my blogging excursions, the search started at Deb's http://dtrant.blogspot.com/ I'm looking forward to the details ;-)


Lucky Seven: thanks for visiting! I always try to find the silver lining on each cloud. :-)

11:50 PM  
Blogger mal said...

heavier blanket for singles works in place of human contact? mmmmm, I think not! There is nothing as good as a warm body in bed with you *S*

It is good to hear you friend has turned the corner and is progressing

5:52 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Mallory! That warm body in bed should be me! Convince my Swedish girl!


*I'm so pathetic*

6:04 AM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Mallroy: I so agree with you: there is no substitute for a warm body next to you in bed! That was kind of the whole point with this post!

And Deb! You are making me blush girl! I will for sure visit and do some heavy drinking with you, but I'm still trying to figure men out you know ;-)

8:11 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Women are more of an enigma than men are. Men are more simple, women are the most complex, complicated most confusing species out there. Hmm...now I'm rethinking my whole sexuality thingie here. Maybe I should play for the other team.

Oh I'm so confused. *sigh*

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She must look really cute when she blushes Deb! *wink*

3:46 PM  
Blogger mal said...

Asa, figure men out? as soon as you do would you please educate me? I am 52 years old and still very confused about it

BTW, I suspect Deb would be a blast to share a couple bottles of wine with

Deb, you thinking of joining the home team? OH MY....... *L*

5:05 PM  
Blogger nosthegametoo said...

Your friend's story is quite amazing. What a tremendous blessing.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Cheetarah1980 said...

I'm glad your "almost relative" survived. That story is like what's happening on All My Children. Kendall is in a coma and her baby and new husband (not the baby's father) are her reason to live.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Asa, Deb attracts the coolest people in Blogland, seriously. such a pleasure meeting you. details to follow.

oh yeah, and don't mind Lucky, it's just hormones... ;)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Deb! I had a very cool English teacher who said that men will always like women because women are complex and men can never truly figure them out. Kind of the same reason men (and women) like to take a watch apart to figure out how it works. But just because men are simple creatures (I usually get beat up for saying that...), they aren't any easier to figure out ;-)

Anonymous: you silly person you!

Mallory: I'll keep you posted about my findings... on both issues!

Nosthegametoo: yes - she is truly blessed :-)

Cheetarah1980: doesn't life always surpass fiction though?!

Thanks JD! I'll come visit your site again as well :-)

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a thought of sympathy for the spirits that pass away when fighting for their life while experiencing blood poisioning. They lay there thinking they are dying and then suddenly they realize I don´t have anything or anyone to fight myself back to life for, so I die. Or what?

If it was the love to her husband that made her fight her way back to life, then my question is:

The people that die under these circumstances don´t they feel enough love for somebody, anybody, to make them struggle for there right to live or don´t they deserve to live. If you don´t have somebody you love enough, yet, your destiny is to die? Or have you failed in life and this is the natural selection for a world with people who truly love someone? Or are the persons dying of blood poisioning just stonecold at heart? If it is so let love concer the world!

Don´t want to be a cynic. Just contemplating over yout blog.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Anonymous: I hear you. And I'm asking the same questions basically. My take on it is that in order for the species to survive we have to breed. People will protect the ones they love: their children, friends, relatives and themselves. I don't believe anyone have a stone cold heart and I don't think people who don't love deserve to die, but when push comes to shove, we might not have the will to fight for our lives. What is there to live for?

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home