Thursday, April 20, 2006

4-20




So it’s my birthday. Well not yet. Not until my mom has called and told me about the day I was born. Not that the story itself is so enticing, but her being so moved still every time she tells it is so sweet and makes my day.

But birthdays are not the same anymore. My years in the US, the tradition was that the birthday-person got to choose the dinner that day. Oh so I can still choose my birthday dinner – actually, if I don’t: I don’t get anything since no one else is responsible for my eating. That’s not all bad though. I’m getting used to my own cooking. Preferring it actually. Oh shit! It has come to that!

Being born on this day is associated with Adolf Hitler and Napoleon of France. But not in the California/Washington area. 4-20 is some petition or something to get marijuana legalised. When ever I have to show my ID in like a Trader Joe’s or something, the clerk always looks at me in awe and say something that makes me understand that it’s this legalising thing they worship. I don’t have anything against Trader Joe’s, but it always happens at that store. It’s kind of cute actually, that such a thing can be so important to them, that they even see it when they read my license. Maybe cute was a bad choice of word here – but you know what I’m saying though.

I read in “The ultimate birthday book” about people born on April 20th: “Not only does their strong self-belief lead them to dominate other people (oh I think it’s the fact that I’m the oldest sister that makes me bossy), but their aversion to criticism (I rather have you leave me than criticise me!) furthermore instills in them an intolerance of alternative viewpoints (my way or the highway – simple as that). Both propensities are potentially destructive and may cause them to live in a fantasy world (hmm… I have been reading a lot of blogs lately), isolated from both reality and the affection that they desire (“desire affection” is that what they call it nowadays…). It is vital for their emotional well-being that they do not take constructive criticism as a personal affront (what else could you take it as?!), but instead recognize the importance maintaining an objective and open mind (I’m pretty open minded I think), accepting that they are not always right (ok, so I’m not always right – I’m just never wrong). Learning to relax their drive for perfection and high expectations (don’t think so – that is what has gotten me to the place where I am), and becoming more tolerant in all things (well, I’ve always been told I need to up my tolerance level), will ultimately bring those born on April 20 great fulfillment”.

Is that good or bad?!

No more moping around! Time for champagne (spiked with vodka, and a strawberry in each glass) and party! Crank up the music and start filling the balloons!

6 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

I'm just waiting for my invitation to come party along with you! Wow --- what an interesting list of things about 4/20. So you're an Aries huh? Well Aquarians and Aries are a great compatible match.

Do you see a flirtatious pattern starting to develop here?

Good, cause I thought it was just me.

Well happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday to yooouuuu...
Happy birthday my Swedish beauty...
Happy birthdayyyyy toooo youuuu!


*BIG KISS*

10:42 AM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Deb! Jeeezzz! No invitation necessary! Just show up! One warning though: the champagne vodka thing is viscous: makes you crazy and gives you a NASTY hang-over...

Love the song ;-)

6:19 PM  
Blogger kimananda said...

Hmmm...gotta say, I'm from California originally, and grew up there, and I'd never heard of any 4-20 marijuana connection. But that is pretty cool. Happy at this point belated birthday!

11:14 AM  
Blogger Åsa said...

Hi Kimanda! Thanks for visiting and thanks for wishing me a happy birthday!

As far as the 4-20 goes, it might be a Washington state thing then. Not sure. All stone-heads in CA knows about it though. You might not fit the profile?

12:49 PM  
Blogger Kanu Digit said...

420....not just a washington state thing.... its national. Not only is 4/20 a big deal. 4:20 pm is significant too.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Åsa said...

d shark: so than you KNOW my license is highly admired amongst certain people

;-)

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home